June 19, 2016 sermon – 1 Corinthians 12
A focus/refresher on spiritual gifts provides helpful guidance, feedback and continuity throughout our Journey with God. I love tests and especially welcome guidance tests that can further his kingdom (e.g. spiritualgiftstest.com) and point us in the right/new directions.
It’s exciting to participate in making eternal differences in our/others’ lives as we operate within the gifting of Holy Spirit. Ask others/someone know you well/can trust for feedback on what they think about you. As our lives get increasingly busy/distracting, then continuity becomes paramount
- God intends his body to function through spiritual gifts , not human talent (verse 1).
- God gives spiritual gifts (from the Greek word charismata) according to his diving grace; they cannot be earned.
- Gifts given to glorify God (v3).
- Christ-centered experience of spiritual gifts brings unity not division to the body of Christ (v4-6). We lift up Jesus Christ and become more effective in ministry.
- Spiritual gifts to all believers (v7a)
- Spiritual gifts give for good of all, not our own needs (v7b)
- Different kinds of gifts – diversity strengthens church’s ministry.
- Holy Spirit decides who get which gifts. He is not bound by our wishes (v 11).
- All of God’s gifts are important. We do not need to feel inferior to others (v12 – 26)
- As members of body of Christ, we are called to use our gifts (v27).
Music I thought of during this sermon – “If We Are The Body” by Casting Crowns – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4wojcSO9Ww